Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Five bucks, eighteen stacks Part 3

Four different manufacturers, four different sets. There were plenty of sets to choose from in 2001, and like with the football lot I showed yesterday, there was a small sample of several baseball sets in the box.

First, some Absolute Memorabilia. This came in the year the Donruss/Leaf name returned to baseball, issued by Playoff. That company has seen a lot of changes over the years. If you bought a hobby box of this product, you received an autographed baseball as your box topper. It looks like there's only one pack worth here - five cards. The design is very tech/battle oriented, which suits football but not baseball. I didn't need any of them.
Next, a small bit of Fleer Ultra. Ten cards, including the first insert of the lot, a Gold Medallion parallel of Rusty Greer. I like most Ultra issues, including this one. Once Fleer learned how to make a card on par with Stadium Club, they stuck with a quality formula. Nothing here for my collections, though.
We also have Upper Deck Legends. Fifteen cards, of which five went into my collections. Mickey Mantle, Jimmie Foxx, and Luis Aparicio were the best three in that lot. The best three remaining cards are in the scan. I don't like the design, and the black borders are showing signs of chipping.
Last, a small pile that had me excited at first. I was hoping for a nice surprise when I saw these, but alas there was no Pujols rookie. As if such a great card would find itself in a random box! I'm talking about Bowman Chrome, of course. Amongst the 12 cards, there were a few rookies, but nobody noteworthy. I didn't need any of them.
Tomorrow, even more from the box!

No comments:

Post a Comment