Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Monday, December 5, 2011

Another post, another question: card scanning

One of my preparations for the big move is to scan every non-set card I have in my collections. This includes my awards/leaders collection, type collection, autographs and relics, player collections, non-sport autographs and relics, etc. This is really slow-going. I have somewhere around 5000 cards to scan. I'm only scanning the fronts except for the type collection.
This was a lazy scan.
I'll be heading back to Georgia for about a week, during which time I hope to get through some of my cards. I would like to scan many of those, but if I scan at the same rate that I can do here (about 20 seconds a card from preview, to selection, to final scan, in groups of 9), I'll never finish.
Does anybody have any knowledge of higher-speed scanning? I think if I had a sheet-fed photo scanner I could eliminate the preview and selection parts, and at 200dpi get down to about 5 seconds per card.

So what are your thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. Sorry, I don't have any tips for scanning faster other than setting your scanner to the lowest-quality DPI setting. If you're going to do that, you may as well just get a digital camera and take pictures at that point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hve a NEAT scanner at the office but it never occured to me to scan cards with it. I'll have to give it a try...

    ReplyDelete
  3. dayf: I scan at 200 dpi right now, which is just enough to keep standard card images small enough to not count towards Google's storage size, but I think my scans look good enough on a screen. 100 dpi would still be acceptable for blog posts, but there's still time involved in the preview scans and such. I might look into a sheet-fed photo scanner in the future. And as for shooting cards with a camera, I've considered that as a possibility in Japan, at least until I can get a new printer/scanner.

    AdamE: go for it!

    ReplyDelete