I split my goals into two parts. The first part was blogging. How did I do?
- Card Shops in Japan - nope. I didn't make a single post. I visited some new shops, though.
- Japan Card Index - nope again. I never touched the basic page I started in 2016.
- Calbee Posts - a little bit. Actually, I got two posts done at the start of the year, so I'm finished through 1981. I guess two posts means I'm getting closer.
- New Releases - I am proud of this one. As far as I can tell, I wrote posts for all of the releases issued this year by BBM, Calbee, and Epoch, plus the Golden Eagles and Swallows sets.
It wasn't a good year for blogging. I did churn out nearly 200 posts, but it was mostly just those new sets. The 30-Day Challenge was great, though! I hope I see a new version in 2018.
The actual collecting goals should be much better. Let's check those out (get ready for a long post):
- Update Japan Type List - completed 2/19
- Do something with Japanese non-sport collection - failure
- Add 5 MLB sets - completed
- Get Type 1 MLB to 50 or less - close but no cigar
- 2012-2015 Type Collection to 25% each - close enough to call a "pass"
- Reduce Japanese set want list to 150 - completed in November
- Finish 2000 Japan Olympic Team set - nearly there
- Organize Japanese single cards - nope
- Finish Japanese MLB collection - kind of
- Update foreigners, have at least 600 cards - finished June 29th
- Have at least 200 Japanese player cards - passed on April 17th
- Japanese stadium cards - made on June 29th
- finish MLB awards collection - as finished as I can be, except for 2017
- finish Japanese awards collection - as finished as possible, except for 2017
- get 1 MLB figurine - purchased January 31st
Jose Canseco was grabbed off eBay early in the year. I also found a Bobby Cox bobblehead (Bobbyhead?!) at a thrift shop near me and added one more (Ichiro). I still need 14 or 15 more for my player collections, so I might focus on these in 2018.
- get 3 player collection autographs - finished on February 23rd
I found a Cal Ripken autograph at a decent price around New Years, and in late February, I got Tom Glavine and Nick Markakis off COMC. And since then, I've picked up several more - I went from having 11 to having 24! Who's left? Ichiro, Masahiro Tanaka, Barry Bonds, and new PC Manny Ramirez.
- get 3 pre-1979 Nolan Ryan cards - finished on January 3rd
- reduce US set want list to 125 - done on November 27th
- get 3 non-sport hits - completed on February 23rd
- get 6 baseball hits - completed on January 24th
Of the 20 collecting goals, 15 were completed, two were almost finished, and three weren't met. I'd say it was a pretty successful year! I'm very happy with my efforts this year, and hope next year turns out even better.