As I do every year, it's time to set goals for the 2017 collecting season.
- Update/post about card shops in Japan. Several shops have moved in the past couple of years, stock changes, and I visited some new card shops in 2016. It's time to get that information out there.
- Build that Japan Card Index. I basically have the data put together, I just need to turn that into a post/page.
- Calbee annual sets. I got a year or two done before going AWOL last year, and I'm pretty much done with the tough posts. As long as I can post consistently, that might just happen.
- I didn't do a good job last year of keeping up with new releases (I'm not talking blogging - it turns out I missed the entire Carp team set release and several box sets). I'd like to post proper set reviews like I did in 2015, which help me stay on top of things.
These are basically last year's goals. I'm dropping the idea of an idol of the week. I might "go back" to that at some point, but there are so many other things to post about and so little time to write.
I met last year's collecting goals pretty well. I was pretty ambitious with my plans but still knocked out about half of the list. This year's goals:
- Update my Japanese Type Collection master lists. It has lots of missing data from 2014 to present, and the non-BBM listings need to be reformatted.
- Re-inventory, label, and organize my Japanese non-sport type collection. The inventory is now wrong, and right now the cards are just piled up on a shelf.
- Add five vintage base sets to the collection (here, vintage will mean anything before 2016). I expect to get the 2017 Stadium Club and Topps sets already. I'm at 137 of 224 base sets (Topps with Traded/Update, Donruss, Fleer, Score, Upper Deck, Stadium Club, Ultra). Most of what I need is in the 1980s and 1990s, though that 2015 Stadium Club set is proving to be quite elusive.
- I need 126 base cards for my type collection. Many of those are pre-1970. I would like to add all 126, but if I can get that list down to 50 I'll be happy.
- Reach 25% on the 2012-2015 type collection. One major project I worked on last fall was building my type collection; 1981-2000 is at 50%+ for each year, and 2001-2011 is 25%+. I can work on one year each month and then start focusing on pre-1981 vintage.
- Reduce my Japanese set want list from 177 to 150. Actually, that can be pretty easy if I delete off some sets that I shouldn't be chasing and grab a few other cards here and there. So I'll push for 125.
- Finish the 2000 Japan Olympics set. I'm down to 18 cards in the 264 card set; hopefully I can find them!
- Reorganize my Japanese single-card collection. This is just a one-day project. I gotta find that one day.
- Complete the Japanese MLB collection. I say complete, but really just bring it up to date. I need to verify my spreadsheet, which currently lists 54 players. I need 30 NPB cards for those players, and 6 MLB cards.
- Update the Gaijin (foreigners in Japan) card list for 2016 and reach 550 cards (from 514). It would be nice to get to 600, and it's doable.
- Reach 200 cards in my Japanese player collection (currently at 124 cards of 501). That's Tanishige and Rami-chan.
- Do something with the Japanese stadium card want list. I might make customs if I can find images.
- Finish off the MLB Awards/Leaders list. There are 137 cards on the list. There are some toughies on the list.
- Do something with the Japanese Awards list for the players who have no cards - mostly members of the Hall of Fame who didn't play in the NPB.
- Add one figure for my player collection (I have 11 of 24 now).
- Add three autographs for my player collection (I have 11 of 24 now).
- Add three vintage (~1979) Nolan Ryan cards to my collection.
- Reduce my US sets list from 146 to 125. This is a carry-over from last year; with a little bit of luck I might actually make it to 100.
- Add 3 non-sport hits (16 wanted). I've been searching for good deals for 16 specific actors/TV personalities and have yet to find something that makes me pull the trigger.
- Add 6 baseball hits (12 wanted). Some of these players have no autographs, so I'll be grabbing relic cards if they exist; otherwise I'll find a filler card.
I have a lot of goals this year. Some are easy, and some are tough. We'll see how things turn out!