Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

On Location: Sam Lynn Ballpark

With this post I present to you my first "custom" cards. Each card will present a stadium or other baseball landmark I've visited. This is card one in the series...


This was the first stadium I visited on my recent LA trip. The setting sun is definitely an issue:

But at nightfall it looks like this:
Those last two pictures were taken with my iPod so they're fairly low quality.

Driving up to the stadium, I can't help but feel like I'm arriving at a high school field. Other than the larger seating areas, it really is on par with some high school stadiums. There is a lack of fans, which may be due to the subpar stadium, or the reason why the stadium has yet to be updated or replaced. There is a visibility issue with some of the "best" seats. Overall, the whole stadium just feels somewhat unprofessional, especially for an "Advanced-A" minor league. It's been around since the 1940s, but this is one "historic" stadium that needs to be replaced. (Most, if not all historic features have long since been replaced or removed.)
All these box seats have a view obstructed by a chain-link fence. The best seats are those behind the plate, above the walkway.

Parking was free, and tickets weren't too expensive. The food is fairly standard and at acceptable prices. The one item I liked was the unlimited popcorn. For $5 you can munch on kernels all night long.

No comments:

Post a Comment