Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Monday, April 10, 2017

The 30-Day Baseball Card Challenge (Day 10)

Day 10: One of your favorite cards from the 1960s

I don't have many cards from the 1960s. My type collection has about 60 cards (hey, nice coincidence!) but most of those are in the US. Someday, I will tackle a 1960s Topps set. 
As far as the cards I have "access" to that are in my collection, this one might be my favorite. Card #215 in the 1960 Topps set has Bob Elliott, manager of the Kansas City A's. Why is this card great? The photo on the front looks like a promotional still from a bad live-action Disney movie that would have probably starred Hayley Mills. Elliott is smiling at something off-screen and there's nothing but blue skies behind him! It's the feel-good 1960s baseball comedy your family has been waiting for! The design of the card is simpler than player cards in the set, but this year, managers got a pennant at the top with the team logo and name. And the alternating colored letters at the bottom remind me of a circus.

Then, the back gets a cartoon. Elliott had success as a player, and the cartoons reflect that, instead of the usual team statistics I remember from my early collecting days. His MVP award is the reason I have this card. And I love art on cards! I bought this card on COMC, where it sits waiting for shipment.
 The newest baseball card in my collection is also from the 1960s - 1962, to be exact. This uncut sheet of menko cards is from JCM 14e, 1962 Bat on Right. The set has 40 cards, of which I have 12 all at once. The biggest name on this sheet is McManus (center row, far right), only because he's a foreigner. The real stars in this set are Sadaharu Oh and Shigeo Nagashima. Imagine if this uncut sheet had both of their cards!
My scanner likes to crop images a little too much for my liking, but this is slightly miscut - short on top and long on bottom. The backs on my cards are green, which is the scarcer variety, though there probably isn't a premium for it.

This sheet has some great images, too - oddly colored photos that show off some classic uniforms of NPB's earlier years. And that's why I love it!

3 comments:

  1. "The photo on the front looks like a promotional still from a bad live-action Disney movie that would have probably starred Hayley Mills."

    Nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome uncut sheet! It is crazy how Japanese card stuff like this goes for fractions of what American cards go for from the same era. Imagine finding an uncut sheet of 1962 Topps??!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vintage cards remain generally underappreciated. Calbee cards remain moderately popular, but even then there are very few set collectors. At best, people tend to chase after Oh and Nagashima and a few other superstars and ignore the rest.

      Delete