Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

The 30-Day Baseball Card Challenge (Day 12)

Day 12: One of your favorite cards from the 1980s

The 1980s are full of oddball issues. This is the decade where food issues and one-off sets were the norm. ASA made all kinds of sets early in the 1980s. TCMA put out a bunch of stuff. Later in the decade, Star issued dozens of single-player small sets. Well, they started early, but by the late '80s they were issuing tons of sets each year. Coins came with Slurpees (mmm, frozen sodas), and browsing the cereal aisle in the summer would always turn up at least one box with cards on the back.

While they aren't the most visually attractive sets, TCMA's issues put many historical legends on cardboard for the first time, or at least made them accessible to collectors. They're a great motivator for learning about some of baseballs historically great teams, many of which have been forgotten to the Yankees dynasties or simply time itself.
I don't have any specifically "favorite" cards from this decade, unless I dive into the player collections, but you've seen many of those already. But now is a great time to feature more art - the 1980 Laughlin Famous Feats set. The Mel Ott above is from the second series, and is blank-backed. I like Laughlin sets, with their cartoon images and interesting topics.
The Casey Stengel may have the best image, but Ott is the only card I have from this set. Really, it's discovering oddball sets like this that really drive my interest in my type collection, even if the bulk of what I have is modern day cards.

6 comments:

  1. TCMA cards from the 1980s are awesome -- great baseball history pieces on top of being fun cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there's still a demand for that style of set, maybe even more so now because of all the throwback sets. Granted, people don't invest in base cards anymore. I'd love to put together a series of topical sets similar to this.

      Delete
  2. I was first introduced to those Famous Feats cards when they were used on the backside of Fleer Stickers. Can't remember the exact year Fleer used them, but I think it was 1986 or 1987. I like them now... but at the time they were always tossed to the side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always loved Fleer stickers, but I rarely appreciated the backs. But by the time I started collecting, they were just putting team stats and such on the back.

      Delete
  3. Those are great cards...love that Stengel card!

    Good job.

    ReplyDelete