Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Friday, April 14, 2017

The 30-Day Baseball Card Challenge (Day 14)

Day 14: One of your favorite cards from the 2000s


When I stopped collecting in 1998, it was because my interests were elsewhere. There were many things I was, and still am, into back then, but perhaps most importantly during my college years was my interest in movies.

I've always been a big music and movie fan and I love plenty of TV shows, too. From 1998-2002 or so, I worked at Blockbuster Video. Each week, I'd watch my five free movies from our store, plus I'd go to the theater to see a couple of the new releases too. I was a college student, so tickets were cheap. And I went to the theater on days I could get free popcorn, giving me more bang for my buck! And as time passed, I would watch more movies each week - my manager let me use his five free rentals too (he never had time for movies).

Anyway, while my film school graduate coworker would critique every drama that crossed our threshold as if she were writing for the New York Times Film Review magazine, I focused mostly on comedy. Leslie Nielsen was one of my favorite actors. Of his one hundred-plus films, I've seen:

  • Forbidden Planet
  • The Poseidon Adventure
  • The Kentucky Fried Movie
  • Airplane!
  • Prom Night
  • Creepshow
  • Airplane II: The Sequel
  • The Naked Gun
  • The Naked Gun 2-1/2
  • Surf Ninjas
  • Naked Gun 33-1/3
  • Rent-A-Kid
  • Dracula: Dead and Loving It
  • Spy Hard
  • Mr. Magoo
  • Wrongfully Accused
  • 2001: A Space Travesty
  • Scary Movie 3
  • Scary Movie 4
  • Superhero Movie
  • An American Carol
  • Stan Helsing
I've seen a lot of the TV shows he's appeared in, too.

Definitely, the standouts are the Airplane movies and Naked Gun trilogy, but I enjoyed Spy Hard, too, and I'm a fan of the Scary Movie series.

I'm glad Nielsen had a certified autograph in at least one set, so I can have a nice memento of his career in my collection.

6 comments:

  1. Great card! I never get tired of watching that umpire seen. Classic Nielsen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nielsen is great but man are a lot of the movies he appeared in bad. Like, straight to DVD and sold for $2.99 at supermarkets bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there's a lot of dirt in with the diamonds, but those sure are big, shiny rocks.

      Delete
  3. A Leslie Nielsen card??!! Surely you can't be serious.....

    ReplyDelete