Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Monday, February 17, 2020

Fifty Four

One of my favorite things to find at the Tokyo Collectors Show is a dealer selling cheap MLB singles. Usually, someone's there with a 10-yen box, and I certainly get more cards than I need. In fact, that's where I usually get a bunch of doubles from. But that's fine with me, because it's fun just poking through the cards in the first place.
 I was surprised to get the Ohtani and Acuna for 10 yen each. And I was even more surprised to walk away with cheap Trout and Bellinger SPs, too. I enjoy the gimmicky SPs in Holiday, to the point that I've considered trying to find one of each type of SP (belt, hat, tree, etc.). And one set I chase each year is the Canvas Collection series in Topps Museum Collection. Best card: Bellinger Claus.
 I gotta say, I'm so glad that Stadium Club is back. It's much more enjoyable to flip through a set with unique, varied photographs than a set with batter after batter standing at the plate, and pitcher after pitcher in their motion. Best card: Giancarlon Stanton (the card stock makes this card)
 One of these cards is not like the other! I snuck a printing plate in with some Heritage. I've said it before: I get the concept of Heritage, and I get that many people enjoy it. But it's just not for me. There are some insert sets that pique my interest, at least. Best card: Velasquez for the view of the stadium.
 This is the "cards I don't know what to do with" scan. I like the Stadium Club Legends die-cut set, but I don't really need another set to collect. Best card: Nolan for the color matching.
 These cards fit into my type collection. I love the Score cards that pay homage to the 1990-ish All-Stars subsets. That is a set I will put together. Best card: Cole Tucker for the high jersey number.
Parallel city! It's like Geometry class all over again. Best card: Travis Swaggerty, because 'Murica.

Do you see any standouts here? More coming soon!

Until next time...

5 comments:

  1. Nice pickups!

    I've never been to a show in Japan but am thinking of taking one of them in (in Nagoya). Do the dealers there ever have any vintage stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  2. An autograph, some holiday SP's, and a printing plate for 10 yen each? That's flippin' amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Johnny: thanks! I can't complain.

    Sean: I occasionally see older Calbee, but I don't remember what the Nagoya show had specifically. There is one dealer who tends to hit most of the shows with lots of vintage. I enjoyed the Nagoya show the few times I've been there, but I don't recall coming away with vintage. That said, it's free admission, and I think it's this weekend.

    Fuji: actually, most of the cards were 10 yen, but the nicer cards were 50 yen each (a different dealer) with the auto running 100 or 200 yen. Still a good deal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete