Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Friday, March 19, 2021

Nagoya Shops and Show (Part 3)

 Shall we get the rest of the singles out of the way? You've heard me talk a lot about cards I picked up at Mint Hinasho in Gamagori (do you know where Gamagori is? Many Japanese people don't), but not about other shops, or the show I've been teasing in the title. That's because I only got to one other shop, Mint Ponyland in Nagoya. As for the show, I'm getting there. Actually, I'm there. Most of the cards here were pickups at the show!

First, a bunch of cards for the type collection. See the best I could do with my scanner. I think I need to find a feeder sheet to help scan some of these slicker cards that don't feed through smoothly.

These are both parallels; 2020 Glory on the left is #/30, while the 2013 Giants gold signature parallel is #/100.
These 2019 1st Version cards are the /50 Rookie green and the /50 Holo Signature partial parallels.
Ugh. Crazy scanner. Here are two insert parallels from team sets. The BayStars one is really sparkly, which is why the it has that dot pattern in my scan. The Hawks insert is just a numbered parallel.
Really, BBM is lazy with their inserts. They have no meaning or substance; as you see, it's just a foil card with a player on it; the parallels simply add a different foil style or even just numbered stamping on the back. Yes, I realize Topps and Panini do this too, but BBM's inserts never seem to have much thought put into them.
Ah, I've found a relic! I needed this card for my type collection, and the price was right. But I especially love the use of the summer alternate jersey as both the picture and jersey swatch.
Ugh, scanner again. When I first came to Japan, these First Pitch cards were simply subsets in the 2nd Version set, and rarely commanded a premium. But they've gained popularity over the years (are that many people reading my blog or is it just a coincidence?) and the prices have risen and BBM has added various serial-numbered parallels. I wish this had scanned better, but you can see it's a gold foil front. And yes, the gold foil looks just about as bad in person as it does in the scan.
Here's a 2020 version of the Rookie green foil parallel for you.
And a 2020 Dancing Heroine autographed card. I don't recall offhand what 2019's autographs were like, but I believe this is the first time BBM didn't state which Dancing Heroine set this is from. There are two, called Hana and Mai, and usually the autographs have a notation somewhere telling which set it's from, but I'm blind or it's not there.

Some of the scans here are pretty bad. Sorry. But I did find three Epoch Stars and Legends base singles for my type collection. These cards came from Ponyland, and are basically all that I found at that shop (save for a few other basic singles not worth mentioning this time).

The 2020 BBM Icons set was titled Fireballer, and included both a regular insert set and a Rookie insert set. Here are both.
I'm still confused about this card. When I bought it, I thought I needed it for my type collection. Then, I thought I didn't. And now, again, I wonder if I do. Meanwhile, I remember Lloyd Moseby mostly for his time in Detroit, because I went to a Tigers game and I can distinctly remember hearing the announcer calling his name out for the lineup. Unfortunately, I don't have my ticket stub from that game so I couldn't tell you which. But I do remember a different announcer calling Dave Magadan's name; that would have been 1994, in Atlanta, when he was with the Marlins.
Two certified autographs. The Golden Eagles card on the left is from the team issue set, while the Dragons card is from the BBM team set. Akasaka's jersey number is 204. I think that's the highest jersey number yet that I've seen on a card. (Aside from the mascot jersey numbers.)

The above cards mostly came from the card show, with the exception of those Epoch Stars and Legends base cards. But it's time to go back to Gamagori for some set building:

These two 1996 cards are all I could find to help me finish my set. Dragons are tough! 18 of the 20 cards I need are from the high number Dragons set. One of the others is from the low number Dragons. And one is a short-printed subset card.


I had better luck with 1995. I might finish the '95 set before the '96... though I'm still missing some very tough cards. I think I mixed Dave's cards in when I scanned these, since I did that before entering cards into inventory. But regardless, I need two regular cards (one of which is an Ichiro puzzle piece) and eight high-number cards. Most of those are not Marines, though!

And once again, I'll call it a day. Until next time...

1 comment: