Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Thursday, March 11, 2021

2011/3/11

 Ten years ago, a massive earthquake rocked all of Japan. At 2:46 local time, the 9.0-9.1 quake triggered tsunami waves as high as 133 feet, and over 15,000 people lost their lives.

On April 2 and 3, NPB played a total of 12 charity matches to raise money for earthquake victims.

Calbee included one special card in its second-series set that year to commemorate the event. The front shows the Hanshin Tigers and the Yokohama BayStars holding a ceremony at their event in Yokohama. The back includes the final scores of each game, as well as the location, attendance, and pitchers of record.

There's not much I can say to add to the narrative of the earthquake and tsunami. Stay safe.

5 comments:

  1. I remember watching video of the devastation. It was mind boggling how deep inland those waves went...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Fukuoka at the time so I was fortunate to be safe, but that was a grim day for everyone in Japan. I'll have it etched in my mind for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad day. And like Sean stated... an event that will be etched in my mind for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that day and will never forget. So many lives lost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thing I will say is that Japan has recovered fairly well in most cases. It's not the same as it was, but different is not always such a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete