Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Saturday, March 13, 2021

Back to Back Back Posts Part One

After enjoying the fronts of all those junk wax cards I picked up last week, I thought it would be great to actually spend some time on the back end. So here are some interesting card backs. Instead of five per set, I figured I'd just put aside the backs I found interesting. First, 1994 Topps.

Bip Roberts bunting brings beautiful babies baseballs baked by Berliners.
Tom Browning is a pitcher. He's holding a bat. That didn't happen last year in the MLB.
Presley will never sell as many records as Elvis (his third cousin). What I thought when I first looked at the front of the card: "Presley. Hmm. I wonder if he's related to Elvis." Well, flip it over, and find an answer!
Orestes can conduct interviews in English, Spanish, or Japanese.
Matt Turner tells you to be quiet.
Steve, a drummer, has jammed with the Beach Boys at concerts.
Two Mickey's from Oklahoma. Mickey's. That should be Mickeys. Know the rules.
Scott rode his skateboard to the ballpark every day while playing Class A ball.
Two years on the disabled list.
Scott Bullett's sister was a basketball Olympian.
Geronimo Pena is injury-prone, but in bizarre ways.
Pitched in Japan for two years. I wonder if I should put together a collection of MLB cards for players who also pitched in Japan.
1991 Donruss has very boring backs. Instead of interesting facts to fill up the space below statistics, they included career highlights. But I guess Uribe didn't have many highlights, since his first highlight is going on the DL twice in 1987. And when did changing your name constitute a highlight?
If you remember yesterday's post, I only got five cards from 1990 Topps, so there wasn't much to choose from. But Von Hayes did hit two home runs in the first inning of a game, for the first time in MLB history, in 1985.
Here's the back of that Stadium Club Dugout Dirt card of Frank Thomas again. I love art on cards! The hospital must be pretty close to the stadium, since it looks like the Big Hurt can send baseballs there on the fly.
Moving on to 1993 Triple Play, which don't scan well thanks to their black borders. Jerald Clark majored in mechanical engineering.
Mark Lewiss has three bats in one hand.
Bubble gum! And an interesting jersey.
Scott Chiamparino is an avid baseball card collector, which made him very excited the first time his picture appeared on a card.
The Conlon Collection cards weren't really post-worthy. I thought about including the back of the Lefty Grove card so you could see the "Rip" story, but I was uninspired. Instead, here's another card talking about a player starting to suck.
Stan was injured in 1990 and did not pitch.
There's a lot I forgot about 1991 Bowman. One thing I realized was how many rookies are actually included in the set (166 of 704 cards). Many of them had their debut in 1991. Also, the set is bigger than I remembered, but then again, I never really gave it much thought. Finally, this is one of the first sets to use foil stamping; a few subsets were included in the set honoring minor league MVPs, Rod Carew's election to the Hall of Fame, and the Silver Slugger winners. But I put this here because you may have forgotten that Ryne Sandberg was the winner of the 1990 All-Star Game Home Run Derby. With three.
How about those stats? Talk about a cup of coffee!
Speaking of stats, not even a cup of coffee. A sip of coffee.

That's it for now! I'll be back with more backs tomorrowish. Until then...

2 comments:

  1. Gotta say... I grew up watching Uribe and never knew his name used to be Gonzalez.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, neither did I. I guess there are some interesting tidbits to be found in the tiny print!

      Delete