I enjoy reading others' critiques, though. I like to compare my thoughts with those of my fellow collectors and to see what I might be able to trade with and for. I wish I could get my packs before I read the posts, but I pay a price for living across the ocean.
I spent the day hopping from card store to card store (five in total) working on my want lists and picking out my first pack of the year. I decided to go Jumbo this year - I only get one of any insert so I get a better variety... I guess. My pack came from the Mint Ikebukuro store. I met another foreigner there who bought a regular hobby box and was busting packs in the store.
Also of note on Teheran's card is the alternate/throwback jersey. I saw a lot of cards with players in throwback or alternate jerseys. I suppose Sundays are the only time to get day game photos (while they're wearing their alternates), and I enjoy seeing throwback jerseys anyway.
Insert sets I didn't get:
- All-Rookie Cup Team Set (I saw these, and they aren't impressive even in person) with a 5 card relic set (#/99), 5-card autographed set (#/50), 5-card autographed relic set (#/25). There's also a commemorative rookie cup manurelic #/99, and vintage style #/25.
- Spring Fever (which is a redemption but I'm sure I'll get a card from this at some point)
- Super Veterans (I might want this retail-only set although I'm not too into the checklist), 10 cards have a relic version, 5 cards are available in autographed, and autographed relic versions.
- Stamped Buybacks. I didn't realize there were stamped buybacks in the boxes until today when the guy busting the box pulled a couple 1960s vintage buybacks.
Of course, I didn't get any of the autographs or relics. Standalones include:
- Rookie Reprints, framed in black, silver, and gold
- Trajectory Autographs and Trajectory Relics
- World Champion Relics #/100, Autographs #/50, Autographed Relics #/50
- Postseason Performance Relics #/100, Autographs #/50, Autographed Relics #/50
- Strata Autographed Relics, and 1/1 cut signatures
- In The Name Relics, #/number of letters in the player's last name
- Rookie Cup Commemorative Manu-Relics #/99, with Vintage versions #/25
- Class Rings in Silver, Gold #/99, and Gold Gems #/25, plus Gold Gems Autographs #/10
- Manufactured Commemorative Patches and Rookie Patches
All told, there are 68 sets in Topps Series 1, including all the parallels, autographed, relic, and autographed relic versions.
While I want to collect more from the 2014 flagship set, I just don't see anything that I really must have. Granted, I'll try to get singles for my type collection (7 down, 61 to go...) and I'll pick up a base set later this summer. I like the look of some of the inserts, but they just don't stand out as Cool. And that's what I collect.
That's okay, though. I have a lot to look forward to this year. Several sets to chase from Gypsy Queen and A&G, inserts in Donruss, Opening Day, Heritage and Finest, and the Major League movie in Archives. Plus hopefully Panini does something great with Golden Age again this year.