Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Thursday, February 6, 2014

What would you do for a Klondike bar? Or a low-numbered Nolan Ryan?

I don't care much for Klondike bars, though I wouldn't turn one down if you offered it to me. Instead, I prefer ice cream sandwiches - especially those Oreo ones with Oreo cookie outsides and cookies and cream ice cream inside. But I digress.

I don't know what inspired me to look in an MLB card box at one of the stores I frequent, but I was shocked to find some pretty great cards at pretty low prices.
 Nolan, numbered out of 25!
 Another 25-copy Nolan!
 And a HOF Heroes numbered to 50!
 Not numbered, but more great cards for my collection!
 I recently decided to start collecting several of the Golden Age and other Panini throwback inserts. They seem to be really tough to come by.
 
 More Panini inserts!
 Panini parallels!
 On this and a return visit I found a bunch of set needs, mostly from 2005 Diamond Kings.
Last, I rescued this Ruth Heroes from obscurity. I think I'm getting close to finishing the set.

The Babe Ruth card was 200 yen, with the rest running 50-100 yen each! I can't believe the price I paid for these. I think I pretty much cleared the store out of anything I wanted. Of course, the cheapest cards in Japan are usually 50 yen each, so I passed on some basic inserts that were relatively over-priced. But it goes to show that sometimes poking your head in a random box might net some great finds!

3 comments:

  1. Do I need to fly to Japan to get some low numbered Nolans? Nice pickups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll try to find you some nice Nolans next time I get to that store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool pick ups. Love those Diamond Kings.

    ReplyDelete