Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Thursday, November 24, 2011

What I'm thankful for...

I wonder how many of us will be posting something like this today.

It can be hard to be thankful when stuff is going wrong. I lost a lot last year: my job, my girlfriend, my great loft apartment and the loss of access to my stuff (storage is a pain in the rear!), my friends in Georgia, and with all that, my happiness. I was pretty depressed for most of last year and this. Thankfully, I have a supportive family and a roof over my head, food to eat, and even without a job, some money for diversions - especially baseball cards. If it wasn't for baseball cards, I'm not sure what state of mind I would be in, because just being able to focus my mind outside of what was wrong for a while was a great bit of therapy.

This is the first time since mid-high school that I haven't had a job for at least part of the year. But I'm thankful that I have a job waiting for me to start 2012, in the place I think I would most like to be for the next few years.

I'm thankful that I've been able to make great friends through the blogging community, and found an audience interested in hearing my thoughts. I'm thankful for all the great trades and gifts I've received from all of you over the past year, and I wish I had more to send in return (or to pay it forward). (I am hoping to do a final contest next month, right before I head across the Pacific.)

I'm thankful that I've managed to stay pretty healthy and active, and despite the mental ups and downs of job hunting, I've kept my sanity. Those of you who are going through the same situation as I have (lack of employment) know what I'm talking about, and I wish you the best of luck.

I'm thankful that I've had this time to do some of the things I wasn't sure I'd have time to do, including writing my blog, working on my card collections, and traveling around San Francisco and California.

I've already said it, but again, I'm thankful most of all that I, my family, and my friends, are all in relatively good health and able to live in a warm, dry house with plenty of food to eat. Walking the streets of San Francisco, it's obvious more than ever how many people in America don't have that luxury.

And I'm thankful I have YouTube videos to keep me entertained:



No comments:

Post a Comment