Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Blog Bat Around: The "TCIC" Autograph Team

Mr. Zappy put forth his first Blog Bat Around recently, and it's a good one: to put together your "best" team using only players you have autographs of.
Challenge accepted.

But I have a small dilemma: all of my autographs are not here. I'd say 99% of them are in the US, and the rest are a couple hours away at home. I've been working on the road again, you see.

Thankfully, I do have my lists, and I can put together a pretty good run. Most of the pictures below will not be mine - I'll try to find images of the cards I own.

The challenge includes all nine position players, a DH, two relievers, and a closer. A full roster of 25 players is welcome, too. Let's see what I get.

Starting Lineup:
Starting Pitcher: Nolan Ryan (2005 UD Hall of Fame Seasons Autographs Silver)
I got this card at a card show way back in 2005. At the time, it was my biggest single-card purchase ever, at $50. I've passed that now.

Catcher: Buster Posey (2009 TriStar ProJections Autographs)
I snagged my copy off eBay for my player collection. I should have bought Posey back when he was taking his year off. But his minor league cards still remain affordable. Note the logos on this one!

First Base: Albert Pujols (2004 Fleer Patchworks Autoworks)
My card came from Yahoo Japan Auctions, so actually my copy is only a couple hours from here. Why is Pujols' autograph easier (cheaper) to get than Barry Bonds?

Second Base: Jose Altuve (2012 Topps Triple Threads Unity Autographed Relics)
I'd like to have more Altuve autographs. This one I got for my player collection before he really shot through the roof.

Shortstop: Cal Ripken Jr. (2005 Donruss Signature Silver Signatures)
Zippy Zappy himself was present when I bought this Ripken autograph in Shinjuku a few years ago.

Third Base: Chipper Jones (2016 Topps Strata Autographs)
Is Chipper the best switch-hitting third baseman ever? His autographs aren't cheap!

Left Field: Rickey Henderson (2012 Sportkings Series E Autographs Silver)
I got this Henderson autograph for a steal off COMC. While Rickey isn't one of my player collections, he is a part of my 1989 A's team autograph set.

Center Field: Ken Griffey Jr. (2003 SP Authentic Chirography)

This is another card show grab from my Atlanta days, and another steal if you ask me.

Right Field: Tony Gwynn (2003 Sweet Spot Classic Classic Greats Autographs)

I have several Gwynn autographs, but Sweet Spot signatures are always the best!

Relief Pitcher: Buck Farmer (2015 Bowman Chrome Rookie Autographs Blue)

I could have put one of several different Buck Farmer autographed cards here. But no, I chose this one. Deal with it.

Relief Pitcher: Tim Lincecum (2007 Ultimate Collection)
I have two autographs. For some reason, Lincecum stopped signing after 2007. He doesn't have much of a signature, though.

Closer: John Smoltz (2016 Topps Tek Autographs)
John Smoltz has a much better signature. And while I prefer him as a starter (the 1995 Braves team is one of my favorites), he was a very effective closer.

Bench:
SP: Greg Maddux (2000 SP Authentic Autographed Buybacks 1999 SP)
The other key on the mound during the 1995 season.

SP: Clayton Kershaw (2011 Topps Tier One Dual Autographs w/Josh Johnson)
I'm not a fan of dual autographs, but it was the only way I could afford getting a Kershaw signature in my collection. Multiple autographs are okay if there's a truly obvious connection like family members or teammates, or members of the 40-40 club.

SP: Justin Verlander (2006 Upper Deck Inkredible)

When it comes to pitchers, I definitely have a lot of great autographs! After the last season, Verlander has also gained popularity, so I'm glad I grabbed this card when I could.

SP: Felix Hernandez (2005 Topps Gallery Penmanship Autographs)
Another card for my player collection, but I like that uniform King Felix is sporting!

RP: Kenta Maeda (2016 Topps Chrome Rookie Autographs)
My Maeda autograph was a redemption, and Topps was kind enough to send my card to Japan. But it's on the other side of Tokyo, so here's the COMC image. And I must say that it was well worth the (very short) wait - this "rookie" autograph is much more costly now.

RP: Charlie Hough (2005 Topps Retired Signature Autographs)
Why hasn't Charlie Hough appeared in movies? I think he would have been perfect in a bunch of baseball-related roles. He might still be good. How about a movie about a 60-year-old knuckleballer who makes it to the pros?

RP: Geoff Geary (2004 Upper Deck Diamond Pro Sigs)

Geoff Geary's only autograph is surprisingly hard to come by. And I've never seen either of the parallel versions of this card. In fact, I had to search through my hard drive to find a scan, because there just aren't any online. That's a great autograph, by the way.

RP: Mariano Rivera (2007 Finest Rookie Finest Moments Autographs Dual)
C: Jorge Posada (2007 Finest Rookie Finest Moments Autographs Dual)
There's no denying Mariano Rivera is the most successful closer of all time. But there is a lot of controversy regarding the details of his statistics. That said, this dual autograph might be my best pull ever, even better than the 1/1 autographed relic I have from 2005 Absolute Memorabilia.

IF: Frank Thomas (2013 Leaf Sports Heroes Autographs)
It seems to me that The Big Hurt has a lot of autographed cards. But he remains extremely popular, so his signature doesn't come cheap. This is another autograph I'm very happy to have picked up for the price I paid.

IF: Pete Rose (2012 Leaf Pete Rose Autographs)
I have to wonder if Pete Rose holds the record for most autographs ever signed. Thousands were inserted into Leaf products, but Rose also signed anywhere and everywhere. I paid about 1000 yen, which is the going rate for a Pete Rose autographed card. Did you know he now signs for Panini, too?

If you call yourself an autograph collector, and you don't have a Pete Rose autograph, you just aren't an autograph collector.

OF: Jose Canseco (2015 Topps High Tek Autographs)
No fan of the 1989 Athletics team can go without Mr. 40-40. This isn't my only Canseco autograph, but it is the one I have in my Canseco player collection. I believe I have at least four autographs, but I could be pushing half a dozen.

OF: Julio Franco (1996 Leaf Signature Series Bronze Autographs)
As far as I can tell, this veteran has autographs in only two sets: the one above, and 2004 Donruss Timelines. While I know him most during his time with Atlanta, beggars can't be choosers, and the Indians it is.

Bonus:
All-Want Autograph Team:
A list of players I don't have autographs for, but would like to add to my collection. If you didn't notice above, I don't have a lot of relief pitcher autographs. So I'm just combining all four pitcher spots into generic hurlers.

Pitcher: Masahiro Tanaka (player collection)
Pitcher: Kenny Rogers (perfect game)
Pitcher: Randy Johnson (perfect game)
Pitcher: Sandy Koufax (perfect game)
Catcher: Yogi Berra (legend)
First Base: Mark McGwire (1989 A's team)
Second Base: John Valentin (unassisted triple play)
Shortstop: Adrian Beltre (possible player collection)
Third Base: Miguel Cabrera (possible player collection)
Outfield: Ichiro (player collection)
Outfield: Barry Bonds (player collection)
Outfield: Hideki Matsui (2011 A's team)
DH: David Ortiz (possible player collection)
Pinch Hitter: Eric Bruntlett (unassisted triple play)

12 comments:

  1. Nice to see you join the party Ryan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to show up fashionably late? Better late than never? I had to see if it caught on? Actually, just been busy, and glad to be here!

      Delete
  2. All oft hose cards are cool! I like the Griffey and Chipper in particular. And the Gwynn..I have to get a Gwynn auto one day.

    Your team's depth is incredible. Frank Thomas and Pete Rose are on your bench? That's insane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't consider myself an autograph collector, but I do like having autographs when I can afford them.

      My fielding team is pretty deep, but I don't have much along the lines of relief pitchers. It feels silly having a player like Geoff Geary on my top list with Maddux and Pete Rose down riding the pine.

      Delete
  3. Nice - Buck Farmer and Geoff Geary are impressive additions on your squad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'm the only person who would honestly put Buck and Geoff on their team. I'm glad to have them, though. It's about my favorite team, not my best team.

      Delete
  4. I feel you on the Bonds autos. I've always wanted one, but those damn prices have stayed high. Even with Panini releasing quite a few in the past couple years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some players who remain legends, despite not getting into the Hall of Fame...

      Delete
  5. Great lineup! Love that Mariano/Jorge dual autograph! I've been able to pick up a few Bonds autographs (all on-card, pack pulled) in the $70 to $85 range, which is much more affordable than it was a few years ago. I'm gonna add Pujols to my eBay search list. If I can pick up his signatures (on-card, pack pulled, decent design) for less than $85, I'll start grabbing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure $70-80 is what I'll pay for Bonds. They are cheaper, but not cheap.

      My Pujols ran about $100, I think. I might have gotten it for less.

      Delete