Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Return of Topps Tek

Topps recently announced the return of Stadium Club, though I haven't heard any details besides the promo image:
Provided it's affordable, I already know I want the base set. According to Beckett News, Stadium Club will be delivered in a format similar to Finest, with three mini-boxes per box. That's a somewhat-promising idea.
Another set has resurfaced, too:
Topps recently announced that Topps Tek will return, but I haven't heard any real details yet.
Tek is one of those sets I completely missed when I stopped collecting cards for a few years. But I have retroactively been chasing a "rainbow" for all the base set variations for each set. I need several variations for the 1998 set (as of this post, patterns 5, 11, 15, 16, 22, 26, 27, 30, 31, 32, 35, 37, 38, 42, 43, 44, 46, 48, 50, 51, 54, 58, 59, 62, 65, 67, 68, 72, 73, 74, 75, 77, 78, 80, 82, 84, 87, 88, 90) and some inserts from the 1999 and 2000 sets for my "mini-master" collections.
If the new Tek stays pretty true to the original, with a bunch of patterns and a few small insert sets, I will be behind this set as well!
Why am I jumping on board the return of Stadium Club and Tek sets? Simply this: they provide variation.
Topps has provided us this over the last few years: A flagship set, a prospecting set with about 15 different versions (Bowman, Chrome, Platinum, Sterling), shiny metallic sets (Chrome, Finest, Tribute, Sterling), and throwback sets (Ginter, GQ, Turkey Red). So with Stadium Club, there's a set that provides full-bleed high-quality photography. And with Tek, there's a set with something "modern" but not just shiny. Depending on the player selection and price, I might be compelled to do a full "rainbow" of one player.

No comments:

Post a Comment