Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Billy Bean on BBM and Other MLBers in Japan

I decided earlier this year to start a collection with one card for every foreign player in Japan. I know not every foreigner has a card here, and some of them might have only one or two expensive or rare cards (wouldn't it be both?). But I'm going to try to get as close as possible. I've started with the BBM Foreigners sets and some of the most recent anniversary and team sets, but while looking around one store I thought enough to check their stock of early-90s BBM for out-of-towners. I found some interesting names.
 I think I remember Jack Howell. Then again, maybe I don't.
 Come on, Guy! You get to play in Japan!
 ...with Don Schulze! And he's happy!
 I don't know anything about these guys. I wonder if Martinez is trying to understand Japanese bunt signals.

 Are you Johnny Ray? Who wants to know! I know him more in relation to Barry Bonds than anything else.
 Johnny Ray Young. Hmm.
 Tunnell vision...
 I did mention Billy Bean in my title. When I first made a list of foreign players in Japan, I obviously noticed Billy Bean. But I never checked if he had any cards, and I was surprised to find it!
Wally Yonamine is one of the few old-time foreign players who are recognized for their contributions to the sport in Japan. And now that I think of it, I'm somewhat surprised Babe Ruth isn't in the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame for his involvement in the Japan tours which ultimately led to the creation of professional baseball here. Yes, he didn't plan them, just participated. But I think everybody knows Babe Ruth, even in Japan.

2 comments:

  1. That a great theme for a sub-collection, I look forward to seeing more of these.

    I think I may have seen Don Schulze pitch in the minors many years ago. Perhaps I'll have to seek out that card.

    ...not to mention the Foreigners sets, which I keep forgetting to look for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep adding all these little collections that I can't possibly finish!

      I can get you a Foreigners 2 set pretty cheap (under $10, possibly) . The first one might be a bit tougher, and more expensive (up to $20).

      Delete