Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Set Gallery: 2013 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions Wonders of the Universe

I took a chance with this set. I'm a fan of Goodwin Champions, and there was no doubt in my mind I wanted the base set for the third year in a row. Upper Deck doesn't really put a lot of insert sets in Goodwin, and the ones that are in there are either too tough to collect or just not up my alley.

But I love science, and the images I saw of this insert set made me think it was worth a try; I found a set at the right price and it finally made its way into my hands.

The cards are on non-glossy stock with a very plain, essentially boring design. But the design isn't important in this set. I was pleasantly surprised by the beauty of the pictures - a mix of real photos and what must be artistic imaginings based on real photos. My favorite card is Mystic Mountain(Wikipedia) - a composite photo taken by the Hubble Telescope.

Overly fancy designs aren't necessary if the set provides interesting subjects.

There are 40 cards in the regular set, found one in every five packs; 20 short prints found one in 20 packs finish the set. I'd like to get those last 20 cards sometime. Oddly missing from the set is Pluto. Sure, it's not a planet any more, and I guess it isn't exactly beautiful, but it is still really famous. Here are cards 1-40:








































2 comments:

  1. Great stuff! I never get tired of looking at great astronomy pictures. I just blows your mind to know that such things exist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the images are so amazing that it's difficult to believe they do exist, even with photos.

    ReplyDelete