Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Saturday, January 18, 2014

2014 Topps Finest Preview: I'm Excited!

For the first time in ... well, forever, I'm actually excited about a Topps Finest release!
For starters, the base cards are colorful. The design still looks futuristic but it's not dull. Granted, Finest has always been more interesting to me than Chrome, but this is the first time I have really liked what I saw.
Of course, a ton of parallels will be added: refractors, x-fractors, and green (#/199), blue (#/125), black (#/99), gold (#/50), red (#/25), and magenta (above, #/15), plus atomic refractors (#/5) and 1/1 superfractors. And special hot boxes are supposed to have orange refractors.
 Starting the inserts list is 1997 throwback Competitors, which will be #/50.
 And 1996's Sterling design gets recycled for another insert set.

The fanciest insert set is Warriors, which is die-cut and focuses on rookies. 
But my favorite insert set is Finest Vintage, with an original design but with a classic feel, the set focuses on retired players going back to the 1950s. I might actually pursue this one.

There will also be a 1994-design throwback insert set. Not as cool as 1993, but nice nonetheless.

Vintage, Warriors, Sterling, and Competitors will come in gold (#/25), red (#/10), and 1/1 superfractor parallels versions. 1994 does not get the red parallels. Vintage, Warriors and Competitors will have autographed parallels (#/15 or less).
 Finest packs two autographs per box, and most likely they will be rookie autographs.
The all-retired player Finest Greats autographed set looks really nice, though, and I wish there was a non-autographed version because I'd almost certainly collect it.
 Both autograph sets have tons of parallels: X-Fractors (#/149), blue (#/125), black (#/99), gold (#/50), red (#/25), atomic (#/5), SuperFractors (1/1), and plates (four 1/1s).

The set should be out in August, and I'm already looking forward to it! Maybe I should give some older Finest sets a second look...

3 comments:

  1. I think that is the first Finest set I have even enjoyed looking at since the colorful 2003 set. Those Competitors cards really need to have the protective sticker on the front to be a real throwback. That sticker signifies 1996-1998 Finest moreso than any of the designs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited as well !! Although I must admit that as a player collector all these limited colour variations are killing me !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time a Topps product has got me so interested since 2011 Gypsy Queen, I think. I guess it's one set a year - 2011 Gypsy Queen, 2012 Triple Play, 2013 Golden Age, now 2014 Finest.I remember those protective stickers! I saw some cards today at a store that had the stickers still on.

    Finest and Chrome have a lot of color variations, but this year's Bowman takes the cake, I think. I'll get to that sometime...

    ReplyDelete