Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

The 30-Day Baseball Card Challenge (Day 5)

Day 5: A certified autograph card of one of your favorite players

If this challenge had been done last year, today's post would have been a bit more challenging. In the past year, I've made an effort to collect certified autographs of all of my favorite players. I'm not finished yet, but one of the biggest motivators was getting this signature here:
Okay, so it's logoless. But it's a nice clean autograph of one of my favorite baseball players ever since I started collecting. Sportkings was a great multi-sport issue and their cards remain valuable; I got this card at a steal! How appropriate, huh? I picked it up from COMC, and the image above is the actual card I got. It remains in the COMC warehouse.

The biggest autograph I need now is Ichiro's. I haven't officially started collecting Kenta Maeda or Masahiro Tanaka yet, but those two might be the next-highest priced. I don't know what their signatures go for since I haven't started looking. These "grey whale" autographs are what will make finishing this part of my collection quite challenging!

2 comments:

  1. Nice Rickey! His autographs have become very affordable the past couple of years. Ichiro isn't cheap... neither is Tanaka. Both of those guys typically command triple digits. Maeda is pretty cheap though. I grabbed a redemption card for an on-card autograph for $20.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rickey's autographs are cheaper compared to a few years ago, but I still got this at a bargain, I'd say. At least by COMC prices.

      I guess Maeda is a bigger signer than Tanaka, and definitely Ichiro given his fan base. Despite Maeda's success here, too, he was never really that popular outside of the Carp fan base. Everyone knew Tanaka. I'll have to jump on them soon though if I want to collect them seriously.

      Delete