Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Sho Me What You've Got

There is no typo in my post's title. All of these cards feature that Fighters player you haven't heard of.

While Shohei Ohtani has been all over the sports pages, Sho Nakata has been all over my mailbox. Well, just in one package.

I got a bunch of random Nakata oversized cards in a lot from Yahoo Japan Auctions, mainly for the bromide. Here they are:
 It's always nice to get some English on a card to identify where it's from. The Fighters had a bunch of turn-back-the-clock events in 2017, which tehy called Legend Series. This card represents the Flyers era. I believe this is the same series where they also gave away replica retro jerseys. I love the retro menko-style design!
 I already have samples from this release. In 2011 the Fighters released a series of bromide-sized cards, and it was popular enough that I've seen singles at a few card shops around Japan. The card number is in the lower-right corner.
 There's also a foil signature version, obviously not paralleled as it has a different photo and the card number is different (SP.05 here).
My scanner doesn't like black and white images. Or perhaps it can't handle black and white images printed using color inks, as this probably was. Anyway, this is a Japan Post-issued postcard. Collaborations are big in Japan, and the postal service isn't afraid to capitalize on popular culture.

I'm happy to add these to my collection, especially the Legend Series bromide. Hopefully I'll find more of the Legend Series in my travels.

Until next time...

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I keep getting annoyed at MLB for using "Sho-time" in reference to Shohei Ohtani when it's really only been used for Nakata.

      Delete
    2. You could've ended the sentence at "I keep getting annoyed at MLB" and I would've agreed with you 100% regardless.

      Delete
    3. After his most recent outing, I saw "Sho-time" more times than I'd like to believe possible. My students were talking about him tonight, though!

      Delete
  2. Cool stuff. I wish the USPS collaborated with the MLB more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice to see more MLB stuff in the USPS, but stamp collecting is a dying pastime (as many argue about baseball cards) and the MLB wants $$$$. They could issue postcards or something - the rules on stamp issuance are pretty strict, if I remember correctly.

      Delete