Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Sunday, March 25, 2018

Goodwin Champions... The Not Upper Deck Kind

One of my goals for the year is to knock out the "base" cards in my type collection. It sounds easy, but most of what is left comes from super-old vintage sets - sets which were fairly big releases in their time but have been lost over the years.

Granted, some of the cards on that list weren't really major issues, and I'll be adjusting my lists as appropriate, but there are still plenty of cards to chase after.

One of those cards is no longer the original 1888 Goodwin Champions multi-sport set.
Let's face it. Getting actual baseball cards from these sets is generally going to be out of my price range. But thankfully there are jockeys, like Charles Wood, in the set. And they have lots of pin holes in their cards. So they're much more affordable.

And honestly, if you follow this blog enough, you know I like oddball sports in regular releases, just like the current and original Goodwin Champions sets. So it may not be a baseball player, but it's a great card to have in my type collection!

6 comments:

  1. Goodwin Champions are beautiful! Congratulations on adding this to your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is a great card. The design is way better than the current Goodwin Champions that Upper Deck sledges out every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The classic design is quite nice, but I get that Topps and UD can't just use the same designs every year (A&G, GQ, GC). I do wish they'd go back to something a bit more honest.

      Delete
  3. For a 130 year old card it looks in terrific shape. And the colors are great. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty good, especially now that it's in-hand! I forgot that I had it shipped to Japan instead of the US. One pinhole at the top and those little green spots on the back... I'm worried a bit about those, and if I should remove them for preservation's sake.

      Delete