Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Sunday, January 7, 2018

New Vintage Japanese

A couple more vintage cards I picked up at the Trading Card Festa. 
 I've seen uncut sheets for this set on YJA a few times, but never at a price I'm willing to pay. This is the 1959 Doyusha Game Set, JGA 5. At the top is the team name next to the playing card symbol; the player's name is below his photo along with a menko number and another larger number. These cards were designed to be used in a variety of games, but most commonly used as playing cards or as menko cards. This is Noboru Akiyama, a nearly-common card in the set.
Produced in 1988, this is JGA 140, "Mini Game Cards" - and they are mini. My scanner had a hard time handling such tiny cards, at 7/8" x 2". Engel says these were most likely inserted into a children's magazine. My scanner missed part of the back - there are three numbered columns for determining the outcome of a play. This is Daijiro Oishi, a common card in the set.

6 comments:

  1. Cool cards. I really should start studying vintage Japanese baseball cards. Lol. But maybe I should learn some Japanese first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learned a lot of Japanese just through collecting cards. There are a lot of great vintage cards out there, but most of what I see are from the same few sets. Everything else is pretty rare.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the pickup! I'd love to hear more about the Trading Card Fiesta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The Festa (short for festival - Japanese tends to chop words down to two syllables) is just a card show, but maybe later this year I'll do a post about it (there are two a year - I might be able to snap some pics at the next one).

      Delete
  3. I need to do a post on the Doyusha set some time - it's an odd little set. There's 40 cards in the set so there's not a full deck for playing cards. There's four cards for each team but two teams - the Carp and the Buffaloes - aren't represented in the set at all.

    Hadn't see the JGA 140 cards before - those look interesting.

    And I should learn some Japanese too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why the two teams (and remaining 12 cards) never got produced.

      Delete