Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

It's a good thing I blog...

I used some of my free time during the winter holidays to visit some card shops I hadn't been to in a long time. Time was on my side, so I went through all of their MLB boxes looking for cards I could use in my collections. When I reached the Red Sox section, I came across Wade Boggs from the 2014 Gypsy Queen set - specifically the N174 insert set.
There's nothing uniquely special about this card, but I wasn't sure if I had the set, or if I had skipped it before. So I checked my spreadsheets, like I always do.
Nothing.

I thought I had it. So I tried to check my eBay history. But that only goes back two calendar years prior to the current one - that would be 2016, now that it's 2018. And eBay's feedback system only shows item numbers, not titles, now. Which I guess is good for privacy, but sucks for researeching.

What about PayPal? Their history is only about as long as eBay's, which means there would be no details on my 2014 purchases.

Now, you may be wondering why I wouldn't just go home and check my collection to see if I have the set. I would have done that, but it's in America, and I'm in Japan.

I haven't been the best blogger in the world, but I have posted a lot about my goals and collection progress. So I pulled up Blogger, and searched my posts for Gypsy Queen. And lo and behold, in mid-2014, I posted an update on my yearly goals. And in that post, I mentioned I had the master set of Gypsy Queen.
Without that little piece of text, I would be in the dark about my Gypsy Queen progress until I could finally return home and search through boxes looking for that set. Or I'd buy a second set unnecessarily.

It's a good thing I blog!

4 comments:

  1. You have company. I do the same thing on a pretty regular basis. I'd say it's my third choice behind looking up eBay emails and COMC completed purchases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of actually searching my emails! But I don't always get eBay emails, just alerts on my phone. At least, it looks like I don't have eBay emails from 2014. I do have 2015.

      Delete
  2. Unless I still have a partial list on my site, I pretty much have to buy them and trade them away if they're extra. I could look through all my trade and purchase emails, blog posts about show hauls, but still there are cards on my lists (especially the player collections) that I buy and then find already in the binder when I put them away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've picked up single cards I didn't need more times than I'd like to admit, even when referring to my lists. There are plenty of times I didn't even look when I could have, and bought a card I didn't need, too.

      Trading from Japan isn't so easy, though. And buying a whole second set plus inserts is a lot of money.

      Delete