Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Japanese Bromide "Box" Bust: Star Super Idols

Yesterday, I mentioned life photographs, which I'm sure I'll revisit in a future post. But I alluded to their precursors, bromides. Bromides actually go back about 100 years, and the earliest known Japanese baseball cards are actually bromides. They are essentially photographs, sometimes with text included in the photo image or printed on the back. Once idols got really popular in Japan, companies started issuing bromides of popular celebrities, seemingly without any form of permission.

These days, most bromides are authorized, though they're still distributed in tabas, which are essentially covers. I picked up a few tabas of "Star Super Idol" at a really good price last year, but they've sat on my shelf for over half a year. It's time they were opened.
I didn't take a picture, but the back has a sample taped to it. There was also a smaller pack with some display cards - I'll be keeping those five peach-colored die-cut display racks for future use, somewhere. As you can see, the original price was 30 yen, which is quite steep if you ask me. Each taba pack has 30 cards inside, one per paper envelope.
 There's no text on any of the cards. The image quality is pretty low - I think many of the images were taken from TV broadcasts.
 And I have no idea who these girls are. It seems that there is only one group, or possibly a couple groups.
 If those costumes look familiar, that's because many of the images seem to come from the same broadcast. And this is what makes me feel they just ripped the images from a TV show.
A majority of the images on the two-sided cards are horizontal, but there are some vertical shots too. I don't know what a full set includes, but I ended up with 37 unique cards. And I don't think any of the images on the taba cover appear anywhere in the set.

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting! I know in the sumo wrestling card world, bromides from the 1940s and 1950s are some of the hardest to identify because of the lack of writing on them. What year do you think these are from? 1990s/2000s?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to the comment below from Unknown, the dating would be around 2000-2003, since I believe that's their prime time. I have several (mostly incomplete) sets that were issued around then. The baseball bromides from that same time are tough to ID too.

      Delete
  2. Japanese women on cards? You've got my attention. I seriously need to learn how to speak Japanese, because I've always wanted to know the story behind their crazy television shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even not really knowing Japanese watching some of those shows is fun. For a more modern thrill, look up AKBingo. And I'm sure Nogizaka46 has something going on, and Momoiro Clover Z.

      Delete
  3. The idol group that most of the cards you posted is Morning Musume, One of the most popular of that time, that is pretty cool indeed to have something like that now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the help! I thought I recognized some of those faces. I'm always happy to have a bit more of an idea what I have!

      Delete