Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

I have Ichiro's rookie card! AKA 1993 BBM: Complete.

 Is this Ichiro's rookie card? Nope. It's a nice card, though.
 How about this one? No. Too bad Ichiro has no World Series ring from those 116 victories.
This is it. I scanned it in a sleeve, and it looks like my scanner handled it better - no blur artifacts on the right edge (you can see the blur artifacts on the right side of the cards before it as a comparison). And you can see that while it's in pretty good shape, it is kind of miscut. But I now have Ichiro's BBM rookie card, and I'm pretty happy about that, to put it plainly.

I found all of the Nomo cards I needed over the past three weeks or so, and I picked up most of the holograms at the same time. Technically, a full set doesn't include the team logo holograms. They are unnumbered, though there are two card numbers reserved in the set for the holograms: one for the Central League and one for the Pacific League. I initially got one logo from each league (the Giants and the Fighters), but I found many of the others for only 200 yen each a couple weeks ago so now I'm only missing two teams. So yes, my set isn't fully complete, but it is technically complete. I will be hunting for those last two cards this weekend!

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I have a miscut one that I really should replace. How much did it run you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even with the miscut I paid over 5000 yen. Still not so bad, but it has been the cheapest on YJA or anywhere for quite some time. I saw a reprint (2010 BBM? It's an official reprint.) priced at 6000 yen (WHY?!), next to a real RC priced at 8000 yen (if I remember correctly) at Mint Ikebukuro.

      Delete
    2. That's kind of what I figured. Mine looks pretty much the same as yours. The reprint is probably from the 2000 BBM set (for their 10th anniversary). I think Engel had mentioned that the reprints were rare enough that some approached the value of the original cards.

      Delete
  2. Very cool! One of these days I might think of adding an Ichiro RC to my collection. It'll have to be a few years after his retirement (whenever that'll be) though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the momentous pick-up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats. Thanks is an iconic card for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I love this card. One day, I will own a copy. One day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 1993 BBM rookie is so cool, congratulations on the pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice pickup! I put a couple bids on one on YAJ a few weeks back but didn't get it, they are pretty popular. Its bizarre that they are asking almost the same for a reprint as the real thing at Mint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all. I'm still pretty happy!

    Sean: I was surprised I didn't get outbid here, though people can be picky about condition. I'd like another copy if I can put together a full run of Ichiro's BBM cards while he was playing here.

    ReplyDelete