Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Sunday, May 27, 2018

2016 Calbee: Inching Closer with Ohtani

As hot as Ohtani is in the US now, his regular cards haven't really gone up in price here. That may be because he's already the most expensive card in the set, or because card shops are just too busy or lazy to search through all of their boxes just to make a few extra yen on a few cards. That's a good thing, because I needed one of his cards for my 2016 Calbee set.

This is the only Calbee set I'm building from the time I moved to Japan. There are plenty of older Calbee sets, but I've managed to get all of the Calbees except 2013 and 2016 - 2013 is not something I'm working on right now. Series 1 never got finished because that came out as I was preparing to move to start a new teaching position (same company, but kind of a promotion of sorts). And I just bought the Series 2 and Series 3 sets, but the Series 2 set came without any of the insert sets (rare or non-rare). 

I've neglected the set for a while, but in the past couple of months I've been scouring boxes for those silly subsets. Here are my latest grabs:
 I really like a lot of Calbee's checklists, and there are some good photos here. But others aren't much different from the base set.
 But they do highlight specific events early in the 2016 season!
 One more checklist, and that Ohtani I mentioned. I'm sure one of the Star Cards I'm missing is an Ohtani, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the checklists features him too.
Speaking of Star Cards, here are the two I got most recently.

Where does that leave me? Three Star Cards, three Legends, one Exciting Scene, and two Checklists. I might even be able to finish that set this weekend. We'll see, right?

Until next time...

3 comments:

  1. Its very satisfying when you cross cards off a checklist!

    I think I'm pretty close to complete on 2016 Calbee too, though I don't collect the premium star cards (just the base set, checklists and whatever subset they have each year), but I did it mostly through purchases of lots off of YAJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually do the Star Cards/Legends but I had several from Series 1 already, and my Series 2 set came with them.

      Delete
  2. No luck this weekend. But next week is promising!

    ReplyDelete