Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Monday, March 6, 2017

Two Countries: Trade with NPB Card Guy Part 2

It looks like this trade is going to be a four-parter. Here, I start by presenting some cards for my fledgling Japanese Player Collection.

I have a pretty good start on my two-player collection. I picked up a couple bulk lots from Yahoo Japan Auctions to knock a lot of the base cards out of the way, and some other cards came when I was hunting for other singles late last year.

I'm not really sure why I collect Motonobu Tanishige. His name is fun to say, that's for sure. And he's a player who has managed to be very popular despite not being very good at the plate. I'm sure that has something to do with his skills behind the plate and as a team captain. He was a manager, too, but hasn't really been successful so he stepped down last year.

Rami-chan (Alex Ramirez) is an interesting character. He has fun on the field, as evidenced by the cards below, and arguably has had the best gaijin career in Japan.
 NPB Card Guy sent me six cards for that collection. I think the photos say a lot about the players - Tanishige showing energy as a catcher and Rami-chan interacting with the mascot and dressing up.
Moving across the Japan Sea, this 1999 Teleca card is a promo card featuring Seung Yeop Lee. The '99 World Sports Cards show was held in Seoul, South Korea, and this card is part of a three-card set all featuring Lee distributed at that show. My scanner clipped the edges of the cards. (Ugh.)
This image, from Prestige Collectibles (you can buy a full set there), shows all three cards.

More to come! See you tomorrow.

9 comments:

  1. I think we can safely say that Alex Ramirez has a healthy sense of humor - that checklist card is a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, love players with a sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't be happier with these..

    http://koreancardboard.blogspot.kr/2016/11/seung-yeop-lee-psa-cards-received-back.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice! It makes me wonder if I really should find you Japanese cards of him... the singles here can often be less-than-mint. But then again, you're not going to be paying $10 each for them. (I haven't forgotten about you. I just haven't gone singles hunting like that yet!)

      Delete
    2. I started using the Japanese Auction Site middle men and paying the hammer on them so anything you can do to help would be appreciated. I received one order from Noppin and am awaiting another from KuboTEN. I also have a shopping cart full with Buyee but not sure if I'm going to go through with the purchase because I'm not getting the answers I need.

      Delete
    3. Do you have a Yahoo Japan Auction account? Not sure if you know Japanese enough to or not. Or if you have to be Japanese to create an account.

      Delete
    4. I've noticed that many, if not most, YJA sellers won't ship overseas, so for you guys the services are your only option. I do have a YJA account, and I've learned a bit of Japanese in the process. You need a Japanese credit card (with katakana name and a Japanese address) to use the payment service, or you have to pay via bank transfer or at the convenience store. I use the online payment service when I can, but when I started that service was more expensive than bank transfers. So, long story short, yes. I do have an account, and I do know enough Japanese, and you essentially have to be in Japan to create an account.

      Delete
  4. The end of the Tanishige era for the Dragons was a mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully someone will realize that and bring him on. He could somehow end up back with the BayStars, working with Ramirez.

      Delete