Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Monday, March 27, 2017

This Baseball Card is for the Dogs

A couple days ago, I mentioned that gimmick card with the squirrel. You know the one. Or if you don't, go back and read my post from two days ago!

Not quite a gimmick, this card features an actual canine on duty in Hiroshima.
 The Carp had a ball dog named Mickey who was trained to carry a basket to the umpire and back to the dugout, and was definitely a crowd favorite. He passed away in 2009, but not before he had his own trading card. This card appeared in 2005 Calbee's second series and carries a premium over the other cards in the entire set.

A variation exists for this card. A standard card back (instead of a checklist back) was made for cards distributed at a Carp game during the 2005 season. That card carries a premium as well; I've never seen one but it remains on my want list for my Calbee type collection.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah, I have that card. The Calbee is better. I really want the special promo version but I've never seen it.

      Delete
  2. Ah, very cool! Quite unique for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now we just need a card of that stationmaster cat, Tama, who passed away a couple years ago. (Nitama, another cat, is her replacement.)

      Delete