Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Friday, June 15, 2018

DK or BK?

IHOP recently announced they were flipping the last letter in their signs upside down to sell burgers. Okay, but, I go to IHOP for pancakes. If I want beef I already have great places to go. In n Out, Five Guys, Burger King or McDonalds are all satisfactory places for cheap meat, and even Wendy's hits the spot if I avoid their french fries (boy do I miss their spicy chicken sandwiches). And there are plenty of spots to get a better burger, like TGI Friday's, Applebees, and Round Robin. (Yeah I'm probably leaving a bunch of better chains out, but I haven't exactly lived in America in the past six-plus years. And I'm not naming single-establishment or local chains that most people wouldn't know. Give me a break, here.)

That little deviation comes from the fact that Diamond Kings can be abbreviated DK. And Burger King can be abbreviated BK. And BK and DK sound similar. And I think I need to find a good burger shop soon before all I ever write about are cow sandwiches.

But I'm still working on a bunch of Diamond King sets. While the older years are moving along slowly, the current year's cards are much easier to find within my budget. And at a local card shop a couple weeks ago, I did just that.
 Hey, Reggie! Nice green and yellow shirt. When I think of Oakland baseball team, I think of green and yellow. But not the A's. Because you're unlicensed.
 Jackie Robinson cards carry a surprising premium. Yes, Jackie was an amazing player, especially given the difficulties he's faced, but nobody talks about him like they do Ruth or Mantle. So his high prices surprise me. But he's not so popular in Japan, so I get a good deal!
Speaking of Mantle, I kicked this The 500 card off my list too. This is my least favorite insert set from this year's Diamond King issue, because that giant box on the side feels so unnecessary and out of place. I guess it's a good spot for a big jersey piece or a cut autograph.

Until next time...

4 comments:

  1. No mention of MOS Burger? When I'm in Singapore it's my go-to, but I know it's Japanese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I'm not a big fan of MOS Burger's burgers. Their spicy chili dog is pretty good, and I like their fries and onion rings. One place I try to avoid, though, is Lotteria. It's too greasy and too small for the price. Lotteria has had some good premium bugers - I really liked the Kobe beef burger a few years ago.

      Delete
  2. We just went to Red Robin for our end of the year party. Solid burger. Amazing endless fries. Had their onion rings for the first time and they were fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red Robin had good burgers. I only had the chance to go a couple times, but I liked what I had. Then I moved to SF and there was an amazing burger restaurant just down the street from my grandma's house.

      Delete