Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Random Repack Three: East Meets West

After my happiness with the past few grab bags I picked up, I've been buying more as I come across them. The small pack below ran 100 yen (about $1) and showed a couple Japanese Upper Deck cards.
 Daisuke went to the US to play in the MLB, so I'd say this is a decent top card.
 Wait, MLB? Where did this random card come from?
 And another random Topps MLB card? Glavine's good, but where did these come from?
 I think when it comes to older Calbee, I see 2000 the most often. I wonder what's so special about that year.
 Here's another Upper Deck card. Victory was a lower-quality set issued for a couple years here. There was also Ovation and a regular Upper Deck set.
 Another Dice-K insert. Nice!
 A couple more Victory cards, including a very plain-looking insert.
The real kicker in the pack is this commemorative card for Shingo Takatsu, for earning his 100th save. Any sort of milestone in a career seems to warrant issuing a special card or entire set, or even a whole range of souvenirs. I've seen baseballs, towels, shirts, keychains, clear files, and more. I am assuming it was issued in 1999 by the Swallows, possibly sold or given away at the stadium. If you remember Action Packed trading cards, this is similar in production, with a folded-over appearance and minor embossing on the front.

Can you imagine how many commemorative cards would be issued for hitting 100 saves, 1000 hits, 100 home runs, 50 wins, or 1000 strikeouts in the US?

No comments:

Post a Comment