Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Thursday, February 10, 2022

Seven Bucks Goes a Long Way Part Eight (Holiday Edition)

 Saturday, February 12 is Lincoln's birthday, and if you live in Connecticut, Illinois, Missouri, or New York, Friday the 11th is a state holiday observing his birthday. But that's not the holiday I'm talking about.

Sunday the 13th will be the Super Bowl. I doubt I'll be watching - I'm not sure how to even watch it here in Japan, and I've never really cared much for football. 

Of course, Monday is Valentine's Day. But that's not really a holiday. I might get some chocolate from my female students over the next week or two, but again, not a holiday.

Nope, February 11 is National Foundation Day here in Japan. (I'm sure you saw that coming.) Usually, that holiday ends up moved to the nearest Monday to make a three-day weekend for some folks, but I am already off on Mondays so I don't get the day off. But this year, it's on Friday.

The holiday commemorates the accession date of the first Emperor of Japan, way back in 660 BC. It became a national holiday in the Meiji period to boost loyalty to the national government over any regional loyalties. And you can read the rest if you'd like.

So, February 11 is a holiday, and I get the day off! I have no plans, but I might get out and do some exploring. We had our first really big snow of the year on Thursday. The snow is more than ankle-deep, up to 20 centimeters. The roads are pretty clear, so going out tomorrow sounds like a possibility. But I would like to go somewhere.

Here are the cards from the eighth pack. Fewer cards here, but they're all Chrome cards. Thicker cards means fewer cards can fit inside the pack, naturally.

There are 28 cards in this pack, and 22 of them are 2019 Topps Chrome. Looks like we'll start off with just a need it, got it routine.

Got it. Got it.
Got it. Need it.
Got it. Got it.
Got it. Need it.
Got it. Got it.
Need it. Got it.
Got it. Got it.
Got it. Got it.
Need it. Got it.
Got it. Need it.
Got it. Got it.
Duplicates. And I need neither. 
Ah, finally, some interesting cards!  I don't need these, but it's nice to see some color behind the players. 
And two more. Neither card here is needed either. But look how the background pops on the Schwarber since it's a Refractor. In fact, it scans better than it looks in person!

Well, of the 28 cards here, I only needed five. Two went to the archives, with the other three heading to the awards collection. I'm not too surprised, honestly, but it has been a depressing couple of packs.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment