Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Two New Player Collection Cards

Most of my player collections are very limited in scope to keep the budget and size down. But there are a few players who I chase every card for: Charlie Hough, Jose Altuve, and Geoff Geary. Altuve's collection skips the hits and parallels, but Hough and Geary are attempts at 100% super collections, printing plates and all.

I have two semi-super collections for Japanese players, too. And like my Hough, Altuve, and Geary collections, there aren't many cards left that I can find. So every new card in my collection is a big deal.
Motonobu Tanishige is neither playing nor managing these days. In 2017 he did commentator work, though I can't tell if he continues to do so. However, he's popped up in some OB (retired) sets recently. While I don't usually chase parallels for my Japanese player collections, I do grab them if they're a good price. So this gold foil autograph is a beautiful shiny addition to his collection.
Rami-chan stopped playing a few years ago, but is still managing the BayStars. As such, he gets a card every year in the flagship BBM set as well as their pack-based team set and some other random team-based issues. Ramirez is so popular that he even gets occasional inserts in BBM's team sets. That does mean there are a few "guaranteed" cards to look forward to every year, but finding the older singles remains a challenge.

The above card from the 2008 BBM Nippon Series set was off my radar, but I came across it while flipping through cards with Dan. It's always special to add an older card to my player collection, but it's a real treat to come across a card you didn't realize existed... even if it is a fairly mainstream card!

3 comments:

  1. I collect Altuve too. Except... I mainly chase his autographs and memorabilia cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have picked up some of his hits back when they first started coming out... but back then $20 seemed like a lot! I'm kicking myself for that now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah when I started collecting him, his autographs were in the $15 to $20 range (sometimes less). Honestly haven't really purchased anything new for him in quite some time except his rookie card, which wasn't cheap.

      Delete