Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Thursday, July 27, 2017

One Box, One Post: 2017 Topps Series 2

Maybe I would have been better off posting this a month ago, back when I first picked it up. But here I am with actual, real internet, so uploading images is easier and I can do it on weeknights, too!

I piecemeal-patchwork built the Series 1 set via a bunch of jumbo packs followed by a Sportlots order or two. That certainly wasn't productive, so I decided that I'd grab a jumbo box when Series 2 hit shelves. And here we are!

At this point, nobody cares about base cards. So it's inserts-only for you.

I got two of the silver bonus packs, which gave me the following:
 The red Babe Ruth is great, and Ichiro's a nice addition. It would have been better with a bigger rainbow of colors.
 The inserts from the first pack brought a nice black parallel. Why is A-Rod getting cards? I thought everyone hated him. Except for maybe a couple people.
Derek Jeter makes appearances in this year's set, too. Is that going to be an annual thing now? Jeter, Nolan Ryan, Ted Williams, and Jackie Robinson, in every set.
 I don't know what to do with the code cards. I'm not using them. That was a boring pack.
 There's nothing better than a 1991 Topps buyback card, right? Well, except maybe that 1989 Topps buyback card earlier. Much like Night Owl wants to do with the '75s, maybe I should build the 1989 Topps set in buyback form.
 There's a Nolan Ryan! Williams and Robinson can't be far behind. The jersey card is a dud, but at least it goes into my type collection, right?
 Hey, Teddy Ballgame! I'm 3 for 4 so far! Seriously, I scanned these a month ago and completely forgot who was in the packs. I'm really hoping for a Jackie Robinson now. And getting an Ichiro feels special because his cards are just so expensive here.
 That Adam Frazier is a throwback logo version. That's pretty cool.
 There's the autograph! Check out the serial numbering: 09/10. A rare pull, though Nunez isn't exactly valuable. Again, it's a great addition to the type collection. I love the Bob Costas though, and I wish that had been my autograph.
 A baseball card with baseball cards? Okay. For collectors, I guess that's a memorable moment? I got another Ichiro, too. And nobody seems to realize he has stolen bases, because everyone talks about hits.
Aww, no Jackie Robinson. How depressing. But I did get a Bonnie Hunt, that means something. Oh, and that Joe Mauer is a 1/1.

A 1/1.

A. One. of. One.

This isn't such a bad box after all. And that Mauer was actually in the last pack I opened! A nice finish to the box.

As for the 2017 flagship set, I got a full set of Series 2. I'll definitely have the First Pitch set by the end of the year one way or another.

So my next box will be Update! Until then, hopefully I'll make some nice finds around Japan. When is Update coming out, anyway? In three months? Gah....

5 comments:

  1. Wow. That's a lot of inserts for one box. Congratulations on pulling the super rare autograph. I remember the guys on the local radio talking about Nunez and his ability to hit the long ball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I went with a jumbo. It costs so much more but brings so much more fun, too. And a full base set.

      Nunez doesn't seem to be popular yet, but time will tell. If nothing else, I'm happy to have a limited card.

      Delete
  2. I'd love the Justin Bour and Luke Donald, if you're trading. Hunt, too, though I figured you'd hang on to that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I just realized I misspelled her name! I'd be interested in trading, but know that I'm in Japan. Email me if you want to work something out, but you could probably find all of those off Sportlots cheaper than the postage.

      Delete
  3. Brian, over at HSCA might want a dib on that Mauer

    ReplyDelete