Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Monday, November 12, 2012

Taiwan CPBL Baseball Cards Part Three

Part One of this series looked at non-Taiwanese cards I found, and Part Two examined a pack-based team release from earlier this year.

Here, in Part Three, we'll explore some of the earlier releases! I'm going to do my best with years on these sets. If you happen to know of any errors in the information below, please leave a comment!
 This set has stats through the year "81" which is 1992 on the Gregorian calendar, and it mentions the year 82 at the bottom. SCF lists this as a 1992 issue, though it would have been released later in the year, similar to how the CPBL sets are issued these days. I think it was the oldest set I found, though I know sets were issued in 1990 and 1991.
 They're sized the same as credit cards and made of plastic with rounded corners. There is a hologram sticker in the lower right with a smiley face with wings.
 I picked up two extras...
 They are available for trade.
 Next, another credit card-sized issue with a lot more color. I don't know anything about it, and I can't find anything in a preliminary search.
 Interestingly, the back contains a Gregorian date - probably the player's birth date. If that's correct, this card was probably made in the mid- to late-90's.
 Now we're on to regular cardstock and regular sized cards. This is the 1993 issue according to the SCF, though again it contains stats through 1993 (year 82). A design like this in a 1993 MLB product would have been along the lines of the base Donruss or Score issue (actually, it feels a lot like 1993 Donruss with the logo placement, colored bar at the bottom, and white borders).
 The backs again use a hologram with statistics and a color photo.
 Now, we finally have a card manufactured by Chiclets (the chewing gum people). These have Gregorian years on the back ('90-'92). The design isn't much of an improvement from the CPBL release. Chiclets released cards starting in 1990.
 As you can see, this is numbered 272, while the catcher below is numbered 276.
 These would have been released in 1992 or 1993. Given the card numbering, I wonder if Chiclets just issued one numbering sequence or if they released a massive set. The catcher is available for trade.
 There's no doubt that these are CPBL's 1994 cards. I don't like that a large portion (about 1/3) of the right side of the card is taken up by logos and borders, including that long black strip that was cut off by my scanner.
 The cards include stats through year 83 (1994) and another color photo along with the hologram.
 This manager's card seems to include team stats on the back.
 This subset card (#410 in the set!) highlights this player's RBI accomplishments, with some interesting (though unreadable) stats on the back:
The manager and RBI subset card are both available for trade!

That's not all, of course. In fact, we're just getting started! More soon!

2 comments:

  1. It is going to take me quite awhile to get all of those Winning RBI cards checklisted. If I understood the original blog entry on these, there was a card for every CPBL game from 1993 or something, so there are 270 of them making up about half of the set. And since the gentlemen who posted the blog from a couple of years ago only posted scans of the first half of the set to his album, I'll have to find scans of all of these.

    In any case, great pickups! You had a lot better luck finding cards than I originally expected, but that was before I realized just how many different sets had been issued there since 1990.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a lot of cards in a subset!

    Thanks, by the way. I had a lot of luck at that one store, and if I ever get back to Taiwan I'm going to dedicate an entire day to card hunting since it seems there are other card stores in Taipei. Hopefully I can find a bunch of the 2009, 2010, and 2012+ sets I didn't get to, plus some of those other older sets that eluded me this time.

    ReplyDelete