Chaos and Kanji is the blog where I write about my adventures through Japan!

Want Lists are located here. NPB Baseball Want List is located here.

Thursday, July 5, 2018

Just Twenty Cards #2: Flower Girl

Twenty more cards for your viewing pleasure. Tuesday's group could be called "Focus on the Past" while I suppose today's could be named "Mostly Cards Nobody Will Remember".
 I recently added three players to my player collection. Adrian Beltre is one of those - he's just too much fun to watch.
 Ah, Panini Prism. Here's a set that always seemed so close to being good. Donruss Optic is much better, if you ask me. It's much more colorful which really makes the shiny shine.

 That's all that comes to mind when I see this set name.
 Heh. Chairman of the Board. There's another music joke there.
Live in Tokyo!
 Speaking of Donruss... earlier... um, here are some parallels from this year's Donruss set.
 I wasn't too impressed with this design, though I get the homage to 1984. the Long Ball Leaders card looks pretty cool, though!
 People talk a lot about all the parallels Panini and Topps stuffs in their sets. But look at some Pacific's sets from around 2000 - they passed a dozen more than once.
 Interesting to think that these players were supposed to be good. Do you even remember their names today?
 Marlon Anderson. Mark Grudzielanek. Two players not going to the Hall of Fame.
 Which name is worse? Grudzielanek or Schwindenhammer? Oh, look, Mike Pizza. I'll take a Pepperoni. (Yes. I know. Piazza. But I'm tired. And I think it's moderately humorous.)
I once dated a girl named Shirley Poppy. If I plant this card will she grow from the ground?

No, not really. I never dated anyone named Shirley. How cool would that be, though? Or cliched? "Here are poppies for my Poppy." I guess a girl could do that for her father? Either way, this is a cool card.

But now, I'll spend the next hour watching videos of old music performances inspired by that Sinatra clip.

See you next time!

4 comments:

  1. Cards you can plant and they'll grow into flowers? Gotta give Topps some credit on their ingenuity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... for once. I do wish they would try more gimmicks like this instead of just short print photo variations.

      Delete
  2. Awesome blog. Curious if/how you have your collection on display at home? Would love to see some pics if you got 'em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting question, unfortunately with a boring answer *now*. But I'll try to get a post out soon about that.

      Delete